A sad sad day, that may lead to a bigger future

So I was out of town in Portland this week for work sampling several delicious brews of course while I was there. Got home late Weds night and subsequently had a long day at work Thursday. So I get home from work and go to pour a pint out of my trusty kegerator. My black IPA came FLYING out of the tap. That seemed extremely odd as it’s been on tap and pouring beautifully for almost three weeks. I check the regulator on the back, pressure is spot on at 9 psi. Then I opened the door and found the inside of the kegerator was warm. :sob: I checked the GFI and the breaker to make sure that wasn’t the issue but the thermometer I keep inside read 67 this morning so I’m afraid it may be done. I’ll do some additional looking at things over the weekend, but talk about the worst possible weekend for the kegerator to die. :fearful: :four_leaf_clover:

That being said, if it is in fact now dead, I will have to decide if it’s time for an upgrade to a 3-4 tap keezer or upright kegerator instead of the little bar-sized two tap I have currently. I can probably talk the wife into either, anyone have any tips or preferences on keezer style vs standup? My dad has a full woodshop in his basement so making a collar shouldn’t be terribly difficult if I go keezer style. I know there are some nice builds on here for both that I’ve looked through previously.

:beers:
Rad

So Sorry Rad (Taps playing in the background)… At 57, I’m still able to put a full keg into a chest style keezer… I figure, when I open the lid, the cold air stays put… I do pull the kegs out and clean the inside with a mop periodically… I’m good to go… Sneezles61

A chest freezer here too. 55 here and no issues with lifting a 10 gallon co2 tank or full cornies at present into the thing. But I can see what you’re getting at…planning ahead for the day when you can’t hoist one over the side. Something to consider if you’re buying anew.

RIP Ole Kegerator

Chest freezer here. I’m sure you could always find somebody to lend a hand lifting kegs if need be.

Sorry the keggerator went belly-up. 59 and I can still lift the 5 gallon jobs in and out no problem. You know, I’ve seen commercials on TV for folks that do bathtub conversions so you open a little door in the side. Maybe they can do a keezer?!?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If they can open the door to get out while its full of water then.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: YES! Sneezles61

Hoisting in and out of a keezer can be made easy with a pulley hoist and a trolley/trolley hanger system fastened to the ceiling. Trolleys are available either straight or curved.

Collar for a keezer Should be no problem. All that is needed is 90° cuts. To have fancy corners accurate 45° miters.

Real bummer when major equipment fails.

1 Like

That bites man…

I have an upright kenmore freezer that’s close to 20 years old now. I’ve thought it was dead a couple times but each time turned out to be a temp controller issue. It just keeps on chugging.

I love the upright. It holds 4 kegs and I’ve installed four taps through the door. I use a chest freezer for lagering and cold storage and lifting kegs in and out is becoming more of a pain all the time. Literally. I just turned 60 and my body ain’t what it used to be. I can get them in and out no problem but you just never know when it’s going to cause a little tweak to the old sacro iliac, a deltoid or pulled trapezius… So from my perspective the upright is the way to go. A walk in would be even better…haha.

1 Like

3-keg; 2-tap, front-loading kegerator here.

It’s a PITA to move kegs into that rear-most position. To fit 3 kegs, one has to be all the way in the back; so I have to get down on the ground and lever it back gently. (Because I’m trying not to kick up sediment.) It’s not terrible, but getting back up can be tough if my knee is acting up. Same thing when I have to swap the CO2 tank.

I think a top loading chest freezer would be more convenient.

Does the compressor come on? Wondering if getting it repaired might be an option. A shot compressor is usually not worth the effort if you can even get one for it.

It’s warm to the touch, but apparently isn’t actually doing anything. I’ve got an email out to edgestar technical support so will see if that offers any help at all. I’m also eyeing the Kegco cabinet as a quick simple solution if needs be.

Rad

So I spoke with technical service and they had me check the starter module for the compressor. I got it out and it rattles when I shake it, so I’ve got a new one on the way. Fingers crossed this solves the problem. That would give me more time to really explore what I’m looking for in an upgrade. :smiling_imp:

Rad

4 Likes

Good luck!

Well, I got the part I ordered yesterday . . .and they delivered the wrong part. :cry: Now I’ve gotta wait another week and hope it resolves the problem.

Rad

1 Like

Thats where I go crazy… Always seems to be just what you need… Until you get it… :weary: Sneezles61

1 Like

It’s aliiiiiiiive!!! Got the correct part last night and it appears to have solved my issue. Now I gotta transfer beers into keg and get things rolling. :smiling_imp:

Rad

6 Likes

Fantastic!