5L flask vs 3L flask question

Hello I have a question about the dimensions differences between a 5L flask vs 3L flask the reason I am asking is I brew 3gal BIAB batch’s an I don’t think I need a flask as big as the 5L flask which are huge??

You are correct. Unlikely you would ever need a 5 liter Erlenmeyer for 3 gallon batches. They are cool though.

1 Like

Buy a 1 liter flask. These work perfect. But the 5 liter way cool. Just have one. Just for colection

1 Like

But you could then use it as a 1 gallon fermenter HAHA. Or just skip the flask entirely and use the shaken not stirred method which everybody is converting to.

3 Likes

Volume to surface area is not perfect for a fermenter. It crossed my mind also though

Yes that was the HAHA part of my suggestion. You would make a volcano. Really besides looking nice Erlenmeyer flasks are next to useless for what we do IMO. I have a small glass pitcher that is far more useful

2 Likes

I have a 1.5 gallon Mason jar that gets alot of work. 1galon starter beers to get my lager yeast built for the season. Also 1 gallon fruit wines and Mead primary much more useful than a flask

I have a collection of 1 gallon glass juice jugs and 2 gal food safe plastic water jugs. They both work great. Can’t understand why anyone would spend so much on a flask…

1 Like