2nd time kegging

So this is my second time kegging. First time was a 3 gallon batch that I kegged in 5 gal corny and set it to 30 psi for a day or two then bled pressure and set at 10 psi for serving. Had a 5ft 3/16" hose with a picnic tap and I was getting tons of foam. Thought it was over carbed. So this go around I set it to 10 psi @ 38°. I started with a 10ft 3/16". It’s been a few days almost a week and I can’t tell of the line is too long or it just isn’t carbed up yet.

Pours flat. Large bubbles guessing it needs more time. Also with the picnic tap should I leave it connected or disconnect it. Does the beer in the line get funky?

At 10psi for less than a week it aint carbed :grinning:. What is on that glass? Looks like epic brewing?

1 Like

Yes tasting glasses from Epic brewing. My Aunt got me a few glasses and stickers from one of her visits.

I really enjoyed their beers.

I have been making sure i leave beers in the keezer for about 24 hours before hitting them with 30 psi and then bleed down to 20 psi for another 24 hours just like loopie beer…then down to 8-10 psi for a day or so…then drink. Carb gets better as it sits…and im fairly impatient :grinning:

So you set it up to 30 PSI… then even don’t disconnect it… the CO2 will dissolve into your brew… It will give it some nice sharpness… I like to carb and keep it at 12 PSI’s. after the initial carbing event… You’ve been to a brewery, yes? Thats how they pour their brews… Its good, don’t despair, turn the gas up a bit if you like… as long as the brew is cold, it will change… keep an eye on what you’re doing so it can be replicated… Sneezles61

1 Like

I only have 5 kegs under my belt but what’s been working for me is charge the keg with 20psi then shut it off at the manifold, a day later it has absorbed that co2 and the pressure in the keg will be down around 10. I repeat this two or three times. It seems to be a good way to quick carb without going over.

1 Like

I wait at least. 10 days before a tap a beer from the keg. The way i do 3 days forced carbonation at 20 psi. Than wait 10 days at 8 to 10 psi. And ready to drink

1 Like

If you shake or roll the keg while connected to CO2, the initial carb will happen much faster.

Never a big fan of the shake and roll it negates everything you’ve done to clear the beer. I’m doing a 7day pale now and someone here suggested this. 2 days 20psi. Release pressure 1 day 15psi release 1day 12 psi. Release and put on tap. Came out fairly clear and carbonated. Of course it needs more but can start drinking if your in a hurry

So at 10 psi you were at a “set it and forget it” setting, and would require about 2 weeks give or take to reach a good level of carbonation…you can do absolutely nothing but leave it where its at and check it again in about 10 days and it would likely be fine. I do " set it and forget it " at 12 psi and it works fine for my system, longer line length, temps.

That said, the above faster techniques will get you carbed quicker. I can’t comment on “quality of carbonation, bubble size, etc” with the faster methods as I’ve never tried them , except my first attempt which was aggressively overcarbed, with a shorter line length.

I tend to keep my psi at 5 psi always.
Add the keg to the beer frig and forget about it.
If it gets too carbonated, turn off the C02 and release the pressure (top of keg)
It then pours as it should.

The best way is to set it and forget it. Find a carbonation guilde and determine what vol level you want based on beer style, the temperature of the beer and length of your lines. Set to the recommended PSI and in 10-14 days your beer will be carbed. In three weeks or so…you’ll have CO2 hydration and it will be at the peak carbonation.

If you’re in a hurry try some of the quick force carb methods these guys describe above. We’ve all tried them. I tend to stay away from rolling and rocking kegs anymore. A high pressure like 25-30 for 24-72 hours will generally get the beer drinkably carbed but it will still be best after 3-4 weeks on gas and you have higher risk of over carbing with quick carb methods. Some people get good results pushing gas through the liquid port or using a stone. Figure out what works for you.

The worst advice you can take honestly is set it at (pick a number) psi because that works on my system…well it aint my system. It’s yours and it will be different. Trust me.

Long lines will not delay or inhibit CO2 absorption. Keep them long until you get your beer carbed. The beer in the picture is no where near carbed. Once it’s carbed decide if the pour is too slow for you. If it’s too slow begin to shorten the line until you get the speed you like. Take off 6 inches at a time at first then less as the lines shorten. Just know that when it’s too short that’s when you get excessive foam. Mine are 9 feet but all systems are unique.

1 Like

So I decided to up the psi to 30 briefly then adjusted to 20 psi for a little while. Dropped it back down to 12 psi this evening and poured another glass. Poured it into the center of the glass and got a head on it. Slow rising bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Not holding a thick head but still had some foam on top of the glass near the bottom. Going to leave it at 12 psi and wait longer. Then I will adjust the length of the hose in small increments as suggested. Seems like I’ve lost some of hop character already but maybe it’s just lack of carbonation, carbonic bite, or temp it’s at. Has an oz of Citra and oz of Mosiac in the keg.

1 Like

My SOP is put two fresh kegs into kegerator and set psi at 30 for 24-36 hours depending on when I remember to lower it the next day. Then it goes to 20 psi for 2-3 days. Then I start checking for carb. Once it’s where I want it, I set to my serving pressure of 8-9 psi. I never bleed off the keg. If one gets a bit too foamy, I simply shut off the switch on the manifold to that keg and pour without gas until it calms down, then put back to serving pressure. That pour looks like it needs more carb to me.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

I’m really pickey with carbonation. I just did a quick carb and yeah it’s drinkable but barely and it breaks down if you take your time drinking. Low and slow. “The waiting is the hardest part” T Petty RIP

3 Likes

Good point - that’s true if the beer has already been in the keg for a while. I generally cold crash in the carboy to help clear before kegging. I do the shake and roll right after kegging, before any additional settling has occurred. I set CO2 pressure based on a carbonation chart, for the style and beer temperature, to avoid over-carbonating. I’ve had good results with this beer line length calculator.

I don’t live by any on line calc. to tell me what I like… Yes, if its over carbed, turn off the gas and pour some pints…Reduce pressure to 1-2 then start again… turn it up very slightly, quaff a few and adjust… You need to be sure you are carbed, not toying with a freshly kegged brew tho… Sneezles61