2012 Gardens

Hey Baratone Brewer, since you have had so much success this year I was wondering if you would have any advice on how to deal with verticillium wilt. Have you ever had this in your garden? This year I got it pretty bad. I diligently clipped off the infected parts of the plant, but there was no saving the plants in the end.

Thanks - Jacob

[quote=“threeabuck”]Hey Baratone Brewer, since you have had so much success this year I was wondering if you would have any advice on how to deal with verticillium wilt. Have you ever had this in your garden? This year I got it pretty bad. I diligently clipped off the infected parts of the plant, but there was no saving the plants in the end.

Thanks - Jacob[/quote]
Stress on the plant can be a big factor. If you can keep your plants vigorous you can usually keep it at bay. Also, keeping your soil temp cool by mulching can make a big difference since it trives in warm moist soil. Other than that try to make sure that your soil is well drained, remove plant material asap at the end of season or as it dies back, make sure your plants stay well fed with a balanced fertilizer, and try to plant resistant varieties. I pay special attention to maintaining my soil in the off season so that when the heat sets in I have very little to do other than pick.

Thanks Baraton Brewer - I will heed your advice, and hopefully next year I will see less of this. I definitely started to make sure I left no pruned parts in the garden, and that did help this year. Also the few plants that said they were disease-resistant did do better.

No problem. Also keep in mind that it spreads easily from contaminated garden tools and skin contact. When pruning and infected plant remember to sanitize garden tools and wear disposable gloves.
Good luck!

Well, I finally got around to taking some pictures of the garden this year. I did a lot of initial work before planting - I hauled and spread about 3" of horse manure across the whole plot, tilled it in, tilled up a large plot for a berry patch and new squash patch, waited about a month for the rain to stop, tilled again, and raked and shoveled the soil into raised beds. I also doubled my hops trellis by adding on a stretch.

Then I was finally able to plant in mid-June. After all that setup work, I was kind of burned out so I slacked off a bit and let the garden take care of itself for the most part. Luckily, things did pretty well and now we’re harvesting like mad.

Here’s the garden as it was last summer (the first year for this plot)

And here it is after the additions (2nd year).

Here’s a closer look at the hops trellis. Raspberry trellises are in the foreground, and the squash are pushing through under the hops.

And here’s a shot of how the hops are looking up top. They’re looking awesome this year!

Finally, looking out at the garden from the top of the trellis:

The lighting was kind of poor when I took these, but now you guys can at least see what I’ve been up to. Happy harvesting!

Your garden and hops look great! Lots of hard work goes in, but the payoff is well worth it.

The garden is doing well. Tomatoes are still hanging in there, but plan out taking them out within a week or two. Peppers are still producing like mad, sweet potatoes to be dug soon, Chinese okra and speghetti squash still producing as well. I planted turnips on Labor day and the tops are looking great!
How is everyone elses ding?

everything’s dying off here. except all the peppers.

The leaves have started to fall and fall is in the air. Freeze hit over the last two nights with temps dropping into the 20’s. I was able to salvage a few green tomatoes to make a couple green tomato casseroles. Turnips are still looking good, but will have to get their butts in gear to make for a successful turip harvest. Plan on harvesting the rest of my peppers sometime this week, before they get hit hard by the below average temps. But, man thats going to be a whole lot of peppers. I bet I still have 5-6 grocery sacks of habaneros and 4-5 sacks jalapenos still on the plants. :roll:
[attachment=1]2012-10-08_16-58-37_750.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]2012-10-07_12-08-16_859.jpg[/attachment]

everything froze. everything is dead & wilted.

Hate to hear that. I always miss my garden during winter.
Looks like I’ll have to switch focus soon and start planning next years garden.

BB,

Would you share your Green Tomato Casserole recipe? We just picked the last of ours and have been chopping everything down for winter. Never tried a casserole with green tomatoes. Sounds interesting!

Hate to hear that. I always miss my garden during winter.
Looks like I’ll have to switch focus soon and start planning next years garden.[/quote]
the crappy thing: I was gonna dig up 2 of our habenero plants & bring them in. shoulda done it when I thought of it.

[quote=“Rifester”]BB,

Would you share your Green Tomato Casserole recipe? We just picked the last of ours and have been chopping everything down for winter. Never tried a casserole with green tomatoes. Sounds interesting![/quote]
Here is the recipe that I use. It has gotten great reviews from everyone who has tried it.

Thanks man! I will try this!

Final pepper harvest of the year. :frowning:
My 6 Jalapeno plants yielded 31lbs on their final harvest and my 3 habanero plants yielded 14lbs on their final harvest. I guess that will have to hold me over until next season. :lol:
[attachment=1]2012-10-10_15-03-16_988-re.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]2012-10-10_15-14-56_645-re.jpg[/attachment]

Hey BB,

Mrs. Rifester was nice enough to make your recipe for Green Tomato Casserole. We both loved it. Thanks for the recipe. Mrs. Rifester is not a big fan of tomatoes. She ate a whole helping and said she was pleasantly surprised! Very tasty!

Glad you liked it. That recipe has served me well.

How do you store or preserve your hot peppers? I have a big haul of jalapenos that I’ll be processing very soon.

I can many of my jalapenos and make lots of different kinds of hot sauces. I also like to make a hot pepper shake from dried peppers that I have ran through the food processor. I freeze small packs of habaneros for later use and dry a lot of whole peppers as well. If you dry them, they can be reconstituted before using them.