2 row or 6 row

Now, I can’t keep them in their place… How do you keep track of which is which? Perhaps its just me lagging behind…:disappointed: Sneezles61

1 Like

I use six row for Pre- Pro lagers and retro Cream Ales( which are kinda the same thing) otherwise two row.

And the basics here: What’s the Difference Between 2-Row and 6-Row? – Midwest Supplies

2 Likes

Now to keep track of that… I saw the phrase grainy… That just led me down that rabbit hole with… BRIESS! :grin: Just clowning around… Sneezles61

1 Like
2 Likes

Now I am going to need to investigate 6 row…
Good articles listed above…

“The interesting fact about 6-row barley is that it is only grown in North America.”
“The other thing about 6-row barley is that it has become a symbol of what the European brewers don’t use.”

Well, its always confused me as to what I’m using… Maybe it seems to be a little less important today… Tomorrow it might be an issue… Sneezles61

6-row is pretty common in early 20th century British beers too. But it does have a more coarse, “husky” flavor (see where I didn’t go there?). Can add a nice tone to a beer. Has a bit higher diastatic power than standard 2-row, so it’s a good addition if you have a lot of adjuncts in the grist.

3 Likes

That made me confused. When by beer master did teach me the art of brewing. He said never use 6 row. Use only 2 row or maris otter a base malt. 6 row outdated. In europe. Why. I forgot to ask. Kind of late to ask now. He did croke. Few years ago. But me happy with 2 row. So stick to the 2 row