1st BIAB in the Bucket - Questions

And I checked with my LHBS their mill is set at .025 and I have been double milling to get it finer. The owner said “Some people complain that this is too tight”. Not me, but what do I know.

You don’t need to buy a flask a mason jar will work. Even if you don’t add anymore yeast racking could still get it going. You have yeast. Harvest some off the bottom and make a starter next day rack on to it. I don’t use that yeast but it seems shut down to me if the gravity is not moving and it’s been 2 weeks

If it acts anything like some of the saison yeasts it could just keep chugging along and dropping the SG. Before I did anything drastic, I would take another reading in a few more days. When you’re starting out and out of beer, minutes seem like hours :laughing:
One theory I ascribe to is that some of these yeasts(saison definitely, ? kveik?no experience) don’t like increased partial pressure of CO2, and that contributes to stalling. Fermenting sans airlock with just foil can speed things up, fide Drew Beechum, and my personal experience.

1 Like

I find that rarely happens unless the beer is infected. Wait it out and maybe it will cooperate.

She’s definitely stuck. Checked the SG and it’s still at 1.032 five days later. I sealed it back up. No bad smells and tastes ok, but I can taste the un-fermented sugars.

So I think not making a starter with the Omega may be the cause. It’s my understanding the starter increases the yeast cell count. With a higher OG maybe just pitching it came up short.

Now, I’m debating what to do. Yeah, I can use a mason jar, etc. I think I’d like to get a new pack of yeast to start with. I’ve got a call in to see if I can pick it up today. If so I’m okay with trying to rescue it.

2 Likes

I’m with you Mr. O,
Of all the darn luck, just diving into new waters… and the plug gets pulled… Gee Whiz… You get through this, you’ll have some gained knowledge! Sneezles61

You gotta love this! Just before putting the airlock in I gave it a good sloshing and hollered, “Wake Up!” Ok I didn’t yell, but anyway I figured what the hell. Maybe it will wake things up. I put the airlock in and wrapped a blanket around it to warm it up a few degrees. Low and behold the airlock is active. Now let’s see how long it lasts. Still pursuing the yeast.

Talking nicely to your beer makes the beer gods happy! Might just have done the trick. Stuck fermentations suck but if it tastes good and you are seeing activity there is still hope. I always try to have a packet or two of dry yeast on hand just in case but must admit I’m out now.

1 Like

I’m thinking in the future to use a starter and hold back a little for such cases. If not used, I can keep for next time.

1 Like

I’ve made starters and after pitching didn’t clean out my jar and just built it up until I had enough for another beer. Don’t need much just need 2 or 3 step ups

Are you sure you are putting enough beer in your test chamber so your hydrometer can float. Can you push the hydrometer to 1.00 and have it pop up. I have never seen the kveik strains stall for any reason. Also I’ve never needed a starter with them either. So trying to imagine another reason for your problems. You have been fermenting near the bottom of the hothead range so that could be an issue. If you are going to repitch then repitch with the Voss strain. IMHO Voss is more interesting.

2 Likes

Oh… Every time I read this I chuckle, but good questions.

I have a pack of yeast that I plan pitching later today. It’s just part of the process that I have to learn. As far as why the yeast performed poorly will likely be a mystery.

If this doesn’t fix it, it won’t go to waste. Either way I plan to harvest the yeast and the beer will make a great fertilizer for the garden (just started eggplant and peppers). Then it’s back to the drawing board and a new batch. But, let’s not let me get ahead of myself.

Your dad had one? Thanks for making me feel old. Haha. I have two. The flat and the wire varieties. I do all my own bike maintenance and they come in handy with gas powered tools as well.

Airlock activity is no true indicator of fermentation. It could be from a change in pressure…like someone taking the lid off and placing back again.

I’d recommend you high Krauesen the beer if you want to knock a few points off. Pick a monster yeast and make a 1 L starter. Shake or swirl it as often as possible until it gives you a nice big high foamy head, probably 3-12 hours depending on the yeast. When it’s at high K pour it into your fermenter. For best results get your fermented into the warmer end of the range for the yeast you’ll pitch.

1 Like

ok I am done. If the hothead began I see no reason it should end other than too low a temp. I’ve never thrown away a stalled beer. Hope you don’t have to either.

The only remaining theories I have are that someone spiked your grains with lactose or you irradiated your brew accidentally because you live next to a nuclear power plant.

1 Like

Agree. My first batch I never say a bubble. I put a heat pad on medium under the bucket to see if I can raise the temp a little higher and maybe jumpstart this thing.

UPDATE: A few hours and at 84F and have airlock activity. Fingers crossed.

I have a 1/2 gallon mason jar, distilled water, and the yeast for the starter. I planned on using the canned wort Propper Starter. I’ll pick that up tomorrow. I should be able to get that going and pitch that Tuesday or Wednesday. Not giving up yet.

Me use kveik. Most the time. Now i harvest yeast kveik as well. Have been using one 3 times. Still going. But think 3 times i toss it out.

Hothead is a lone strain from what I understand. There would be not need to toss that. The harvest it with those wooden yeast rings where it is from.

1 Like

Well throughout the night and this morning I have some very good activity in the airlock. It’s belching out bubbles on a good rhythm.

As I left it last night, I put a heating pad under the bucket. I monitored the temp and a few hours in I had activity at 84F. I dropped the setting to low and this morning it’s going strong. The bucket temp is at 91F. Just FYI I’m using one of those point and click laser thermometer.

I’ll monitor it over the next 24-48 hours. If still going I’ll let her run the course for another few days before I check the gravity again.

2 Likes

Good news!