10gal tall boy question?

Hello I purchased a 10gal tall boy kettle from northern brewer about 2 years ago. So my question I know there others out there that have this same kettle so what I am asking what are your boil off rate’s. I tested my with water an I determined I lose 2gal per hour.

Me have different kind of kettle. But same thing. Boil off about 2 gall per 60 min. Got my burner running full power.

Boiloff rate would be contingent upon how vigorous a boil you use. I don’t boil at a vigorous rate so mine is less. Around 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 gph.

3 Likes

Same here, I’m on the low end of the spectrum, certainly less than two gallons, at sea level I get about 6-7% boil off per hour, with the 10 gallon tall boy and my set up. I’ve heard 15 % boil off is more typical with a vigorous propane fueled boil…

1 Like

Humidity will also affect your boil off rate.

And the alignment of the stars.

1 Like

altitude…barometric pressure…lucidity and sobriety of the brewer…haha

Everyone’s boil off rate is different as others have said…To lose 2 gals you must have your wort almost jumping out of the kettle…all you need is a good steady rolling boil…and to try and be consistne with it each time so you get the same result.

2 Likes

Too much heat, and caramelization will darken your wort… Even scorching! Blackened pale ale!! Sneezles61

1 Like