10 gallon batch full boil

I’m quite strong, but just a bit smarter than strong and wouldn’t even dare pull a feat like that! That is just asking for a serious accident. Chill in place, OR, have a valve and spigot, OR, a pump that will allow you to fill a couple smaller containers that you could safely handle. We arent about bashing , and doing this hobby safely is a primary key to a long lived hobby! Sneezles61

2 Likes

I have a chiller that works great that I built. I am brewing in my basement with a Blichman burner converted to NG. I made a vent hood with a a couple of fam motors sucking out over 200 cfm of air so I can safely use my burner inside. Every thing that I have done and purchased has been thought out including my 10 gallon brew pot. I did not purchase a valve in the pot thinking it was not necessary because I don’t have any near fucture plans to go to all grain. I just though last week that I would try and make a 10 gallon batch and see what would happen. I did not think of the thing being so heavy and so difficult to get off the burner my 5 gallon batch were never a problem. Like I said in my first post I knew I was not going to repeat this mistake realizing how dangerous it was. That is why I was asking and got some great ideas. Two night a go I spend a hour adjusting my hood and was able to raise it up a inch and just barely got enough room to make this work. So no more lifting hot batches off the burner. I will still have to lift it down to get my racking cane in there but at least I am dealing with 70 degrees instead of 220 degreees.

2 Likes

How much are you boiling. Can’t boil much more than 7 gallon s in a ten gallon pot I would think

1 Like

I started with nine gallons knowing I would loose a gallon in steam and that gave me more then enough room for the malts and the chiller coil when I was done. I had to be extremely careful to avoid boil over but it worked great.

Yea a ten gallon pot is small for 9 gallons. If you want to do alot of 10 gallon batches I would recommend a 15 gallon pot with a valve. Then you can do full boils safely

Thanks everyone for all your help and advise we will see what I can do safely with what I have. Brew Cat I like what you are thinking and that order will get placed some day but I better cool it for a while before my better half cuts me off. I just place a 159 dollar from NB and a 250 dollar another company. On a deferent side note I just got the taps mounted and have completed my keezer. Darn the luck I have a keg filled that should be done being carbonated. I am planning on trying out my tap today as soon as it is 5:00. Everyone have a great weekend :beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

1 Like

It’s always 5:00…somewhere…

A good brewer doesn’t have a clock, just a timer!! Sneezles61

2 Likes

Yup, orders for stuff add up quickly, especially doing larger batches. When you do go looking for a new brew kettle, take a look at Spike Brewing. I got one of theirs after a lot of debate and love it.

1 Like